By Paola Pascual on Jan 23, 2020 4:54:02 PM
Ever feel like your colleagues speak in riddles? It's true that native-English speakers sometimes talk a mile a minute, but knowing all these communication idioms will help you keep up with them!
Here you have a list with the most common idioms about communication. Check it out and put them in practice at work or with a teacher:
|■ He talks a mile a minute.||- Very quickly.|
|■ If you ever come to New York, drop me a line.||- Send me a note or a letter.|
|■ Tell me about it, get it off your chest.||- Say it and feel relieved.|
|■ "Are you listening to me?" "Yes, I'm all ears.||- I'm paying attention to you.|
|■ Please keep me In the loop / He said we kept him out of the loop,||- Aware (or unaware) of information known to only a group.|
|■ I've tried to discuss it with her, but it's like talking to a brick wall.||- The person is not listening or paying attention.|
|■ It's on the tip of my tongue.||- I can almost remember but not quite.|
|■ Anyway, long story short, we're moving to Germany.||- To skip boring, unnecessary details.|
|■ "How much is the house worth?" "Off the top of my head, I'd say around $160,000."||- From memory, without thinking too much.|
|■ They put me on the spot when they asked me about my other projects.||- They forced me into a difficult situation / asked me a difficult question.|
|■ Rumors spread like wildfire when people are excited.||- Circulate very quickly.|
|■ Take everything she says with a pinch of salt, because she tends to exaggerate.||- Be a bit skeptical about it.|
|■ Stop talking in riddles and tell me what this is about.||- Speak in a convoluted/complicated way.|
|■ I was just calling to touch base since it's been a few weeks since we last spoke.||- To contact someone for an update.|
|■ We get most of our work through word-of-mouth recommendations.||- Spread by people talking about it.|
- Do you know anyone who speaks in riddles?
- What is something you found out through word of mouth?
- From your friends, do you have to take any of them with a pinch of salt?
- What do you do when you have something on the tip of your tongue?
- Have you ever tried to discuss something with someone and it was like talking to a brick wall?
- What do you do if a colleague/customer is talking a mile a minute and you can't understand?
- Off the top of your head, how many employees are there in your company?
- Have you ever felt that you needed to get something off your chest?
- Have any rumors about you ever spread like wildfire?
Fill the gaps with the correct word:
- I can't really understand my new colleague. He talks a __ a minute.
- We've tried to make him understand, but it's like talking to a __ wall.
- Sorry I told you this long story, I just needed to get it off my __.
- If you ever need anything, drop me a __.
- Her name? Oh, it's on the __ of my tongue.
- Tell me about your new project, I'm all __.
- We'll keep you in the __ with all the updates.
- Anyway, __ story short, we need to postpone the deadline.
- He's very hard-working, but when it comes to timeline, take him with a __ of salt.
- She explained the whole thing, but to be honest, she was talking in __ and no one fully understood.
- Hi, I was just calling to touch __. How's the new venture going?
- How did you find out about them? Just word of __!
Keep learning English idioms:
- 30 Must-Know Idioms About Negotiations & Agreements
- 12 Perfect Idioms About Success To Show Off At The Office
Coming up soon... (or download the PDF now for free)
- Problems at Work? Learn These 18 Idioms About Challenges
Or the best way to improve your communications skills... practicing your English with a native-speaking teacher! Find out more about your English learning options with Talaera.
Talaera is an online platform that provides one-on-one English language training, anytime, anywhere, with 100% personalized lessons, HD video quality, and qualified teachers that will help you achieve your learning goals. Learn more.
Did you enjoy this post? We have more like this:
- The 7 Ultimate Tips You Need To Expand Your English Vocabulary
- The 30 common mistakes Germans make in English [+ Denglisch quiz]
- How To Learn The Difference Between 'Really' And 'Very'?
- 150+ Useful Email Phrases That Will Make Your Life Easier
- The 10 Proven Tactics You Need To Make Your Boss Say Yes
- What’s the difference between FOR and TO? Finally explained!
- 14 Simple Rules That Will Make You A Better Communicator
- Learning Business English? +20 Top Tips You Need To Know