By Paola Pascual on Apr 16, 2020 10:39:58 AM
If you want to learn idioms and expressions about success, you've hit the jackpot! Keep reading and don't forget to do the exercise below to make sure you remember everything or download the whole free Idioms Guide for free with exercises and solutions.
Here you have a list with the most common idioms about success. Check it out and put them in practice at work or with a teacher.
- To come a long way
- To hit the jackpot
- To kill two birds with one stone
- To live up to your expectations
- To make a comeback
- To make the cut
- With flying colors
- To rise to the occasion
- To save the day
- Third time lucky (also: Third time's a charm)
- Where there's a will, there's a way
- A win-win situation
|Idioms used in a sentence||Meaning|
|■ IT has come a long way in the last 20 years.||- Made a lot of progress|
|■ Marcy hit the jackpot with her new job -it's basically her dream job, plus a huge salary.||- Have great or unexpected success, especially in making a lot of money quickly; to find exactly what you desired|
|■ I might as well kill two birds with one stone and drop off my tax forms while I'm at the mall for the computer part I need.||- Solve two problems with one action or solution|
|■ The proposal sounded great, but it didn’t live up to our expectations.||- To be as good as expected or hoped for|
|■ I thought they were filing for bankruptcy, but they actually made a comeback.||- Achieve a success after retirement or failure|
|■ The requirements to get in were very hard, but I still made the cut.||- To be among the options to continue; avoid elimination|
|■ Sylvia had passed her exams with flying colours.||- Excel; pass a test or an exam easily or very successfully|
|■ No one was sure if he could handle the pressure of making a speech, but he rose to the occasion and did an excellent job.||- Show that you can deal with a difficult situation successfully|
|■ Just when things looked hopeless, my manager came along and saved the day.||- Make a bad situation end successfully|
|■ This is the second time I have failed the exam, but as they say - third time lucky. (Also: third time’s a charm)||- Two attempts at something have already failed but perhaps the third will be successful|
|■ No one believed we would make it, but where there’s a will, there’s a way.||- If you are determined enough, you can find a way to achieve what you want, even if it is very difficult|
|■ Flexible working hours are a win-win situation for employers and employees.||- A result or situation that is good for everyone who is involved|
- Have you ever hit the jackpot with anything?
- When was a time you killed two birds with one stone?
- Think of the last movie you saw - did it live up to your expectations?
- When you were at school, did you use to pass all your exams with flying colors?
- Talk about a time you saved the day.
- Do you think that where there's a will there's a way?
- Talk about a recent win-win situation.
Fill the gaps with the correct word:
- Happy and engaged employees are a __-win situation for both workers and the company.
- I know you don't believe it, but trust me - where there's a __, there's a way.
- You've failed twice, but go for it again! Third time __.
- Thanks so much for that amazing idea! You've saved the __.
- We trusted her, but she didn't really rise to the __.
- Congrats to the whole team! We've passed with __ colors!
- It seems the company is making a __ when they least expected it.
- This report won't make the __.
- I'll give you a ride and kill two birds with one __.
- We've hit the __ with the new employee - she's amazing!
- The company has come a long __ in the last 5 years.
Keep learning English idioms:
- 12 Perfect Idioms About Success To Show Off At The Office
- Problems at Work? Learn These 18 Idioms About Challenges
- The 70+ Business Idioms You Should Know
- Top 15 Communication Idioms To Use At Work
- 30 Must-Know Idioms About Negotiations & Agreements
- The Best Business English Idioms And Phrases You Absolutely Need
Looking for more ways to improve your business English?
Take your professional English communication skills to the next level with Talaera.
- 💬 Personalized Training - 1:1 sessions, group courses, or company webinars tailored to your needs
- 🎥 Free webinars - monthly live sessions with one of our communication experts
- 📚 Free Guides - download these free ebooks to learn more about business emails, pronunciation, and other communication skills
Remote. Flexible. Effective.
For any additional information or questions, you can also reach out at email@example.com.
Interested in getting the best offers and receiving free content on Business English communication? Subscribe to our newsletter and we will keep you in the loop with offers, free events, and development materials!