By Paola Pascual on Apr 16, 2020 10:39:58 AM
If you want to learn idioms and expressions about success, you've hit the jackpot! Keep reading and don't forget to do the exercise below to make sure you remember everything or download the whole free Idioms Guide for free with exercises and solutions.
Here you have a list with the most common idioms about success. Check it out and put them in practice at work or with a teacher.
- To come a long way
- To hit the jackpot
- To kill two birds with one stone
- To live up to your expectations
- To make a comeback
- To make the cut
- With flying colors
- To rise to the occasion
- To save the day
- Third time lucky (also: Third time's a charm)
- Where there's a will, there's a way
- A win-win situation
|Idioms used in a sentence||Meaning|
|■ IT has come a long way in the last 20 years.||- Made a lot of progress|
|■ Marcy hit the jackpot with her new job -it's basically her dream job, plus a huge salary.||- Have great or unexpected success, especially in making a lot of money quickly; to find exactly what you desired|
|■ I might as well kill two birds with one stone and drop off my tax forms while I'm at the mall for the computer part I need.||- Solve two problems with one action or solution|
|■ The proposal sounded great, but it didn’t live up to our expectations.||- To be as good as expected or hoped for|
|■ I thought they were filing for bankruptcy, but they actually made a comeback.||- Achieve a success after retirement or failure|
|■ The requirements to get in were very hard, but I still made the cut.||- To be among the options to continue; avoid elimination|
|■ Sylvia had passed her exams with flying colours.||- Excel; pass a test or an exam easily or very successfully|
|■ No one was sure if he could handle the pressure of making a speech, but he rose to the occasion and did an excellent job.||- Show that you can deal with a difficult situation successfully|
|■ Just when things looked hopeless, my manager came along and saved the day.||- Make a bad situation end successfully|
|■ This is the second time I have failed the exam, but as they say - third time lucky. (Also: third time’s a charm)||- Two attempts at something have already failed but perhaps the third will be successful|
|■ No one believed we would make it, but where there’s a will, there’s a way.||- If you are determined enough, you can find a way to achieve what you want, even if it is very difficult|
|■ Flexible working hours are a win-win situation for employers and employees.||- A result or situation that is good for everyone who is involved|
- Have you ever hit the jackpot with anything?
- When was a time you killed two birds with one stone?
- Think of the last movie you saw - did it live up to your expectations?
- When you were at school, did you use to pass all your exams with flying colors?
- Talk about a time you saved the day.
- Do you think that where there's a will there's a way?
- Talk about a recent win-win situation.
Fill the gaps with the correct word:
- Happy and engaged employees are a __-win situation for both workers and the company.
- I know you don't believe it, but trust me - where there's a __, there's a way.
- You've failed twice, but go for it again! Third time __.
- Thanks so much for that amazing idea! You've saved the __.
- We trusted her, but she didn't really rise to the __.
- Congrats to the whole team! We've passed with __ colors!
- It seems the company is making a __ when they least expected it.
- This report won't make the __.
- I'll give you a ride and kill two birds with one __.
- We've hit the __ with the new employee - she's amazing!
- The company has come a long __ in the last 5 years.
Keep learning English idioms:
- Idioms about communication
- Idioms about challenges
- Idioms about success
Or the best way to improve your communications skills... practicing your English with a native-speaking teacher! Find out more about your English learning options with Talaera.
Talaera is an online platform that provides one-on-one English language training, anytime, anywhere, with 100% personalized lessons, HD video quality, and qualified teachers that will help you achieve your learning goals. Learn more.
Did you enjoy this post? We have more like this:
- The 7 Ultimate Tips You Need To Expand Your English Vocabulary
- The 30 common mistakes Germans make in English [+ Denglisch quiz]
- How To Learn The Difference Between 'Really' And 'Very'?
- 150+ Useful Email Phrases That Will Make Your Life Easier
- The 10 Proven Tactics You Need To Make Your Boss Say Yes
- What’s the difference between FOR and TO? Finally explained!
- 14 Simple Rules That Will Make You A Better Communicator
- Learning Business English? +20 Top Tips You Need To Know